From bugs to bans, the week was full of car wash news. Here are the top stories from around the country:
1. “In full effect.” Spring means love bug season in the South, where Stephen Thomas of United Car Wash in Dothan, Alabama, told ABC affiliate WDHN: “It seems like they’re in full effect now, the love bugs.” That’s bad news for drivers (the bugs can spoil the paint) and good news for car wash businesses.
2. Are you a Top 50 car wash? Professional Carwashing & Detailing magazine is taking applications for their annual Top 50 conveyor car washes list. Mister Car Wash was last year’s winner. Deadline to submit is July 31.
3. Car wash faces angry residents in Illinois. Zoning for a proposed car wash in suburban Chicago is meeting resistance from neighbors, according to The Chicago Tribune. “Imagine trying to sit on your balcony looking down on the car wash,” one resident told the Northbrook planning commission. “This is right in the middle of a residential community.”
4. Car wash ideas 2.0. WashIdeas.com, which provides news and best practices for the car wash industry, is relaunching under new ownership. We’ve already seen the results: They’re following The Car Wash Business Blog on Twitter.
5. Taxpayers funding car wash union in New York City. The swift rise of organized car wash labor came partly on the backs of city, state, and federal taxpayers, according to Crain’s New York Business. There have been prosecuted labor abuses in the city’s car wash industry, including wage violations. Now that strict new regulations are on the table, car wash owners are saying they shouldn’t have to pay for other owners’ illegal activities.
6. Banning car wash fundraisers? The city of Arlington, Virginia, is banning all car wash fundraisers after the state Department of Environmental Protection said runoff of chlorine and other products could harm the Chesapeake Bay, according to Watchdog.org. Little League coaches and marching bands were furious. But we wonder if this creates opportunities to partner with professional car wash businesses?